Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"White Lace and Promises"

Today's entry is brought t you courtesy of Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge.

This week's word is: Bustier. Now then. This is not 'bustier' as in "Jenny is bustier than Golda". No. This is 'bustier' as in "Black Satin Bustier". As in, the French undergarment.

And now, my contribution.

"White Lace and Promises"

It was the dress of my dreams, a vision of white satin and lace with row upon row of tiny pearlescent beads, their myriad designs stitched with flawless creativity.

I admired myself in the mirror of the exclusive little shop, and shook my head sadly. I was forced to face the fact that I was no longer a young woman. The telltale signs of middle age had come and gone, and left in place of the body I had called home for so long was a matriarch.

Sensing my hesitation the designer placed the solution in my hands.

"Bustier, madame?"

6 comments:

  1. There comes a time when very man looks in the mirror and realizes he's not a kid anymore. Usually, it's not long after he's heard some young kitten say "He's OLD", or something similar.

    Would that all such realizations were as gently handled.

    Well done. I like this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. There is a gentility that soothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I love the imagery you used. Bravo bravo!

    http://poppingbubbles.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bustier perhaps but matriarchs rule! Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can picture the whole scene so clearly! Perfect! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete